Monday, July 25, 2005

Knowing.....Loving

Inspiration: 
I was inspired to write this post when I realized that I was beginning
to recognize a particular kind of bird in my backyard.  In fact, I
was listening for his voice.  I realized that I really loved to
listen to his song because it was becoming familiar to me; because I
recognized it.

My son David is determined to memorize every dinosaur that ever
lived!  When we go to the library, he can usually be found in the
dinosaur section.  He makes lists of dinosaurs on the
computer.  He really loves dinosaurs and wants to know everything
about them.  And the more he knows of them, the more he loves them. My
daughter Deborah Jane is in love with the Little House stories (and so
many of you are also:-).  She often listens to one during her
quiet-time in the afternoon.  She will tell me some little tidbit
that she has memorized from these precious stories.  And the more
she knows of these whispering souls and the lives they lived, the more
she loves them. 

I
have become convinced that familiarity does NOT breed contempt when it
comes to someone or something worth loving.  When we really know
something we begin to recognize it's nuances; we begin to appreciate
it's character.  Recognition is the fuel that fans this flame of
love in our souls.  And that is the essence of worshiping
God.  Seeing Him;  Recognizing Him; Loving Him. I
know of people who talk in a very animated fashion about their
interests.  Their eyes light up and their voices take an
enthusiastic turn.  They are engaged by something they really LOVE! This reminds me of some precious verses in the scriptures: 


"Delight thyself also in the Lord, and He shall give you the desires of thine heart."  (Psalm 37:4)


"Whom
having not seen, ye love; in whom, though now ye see him not, yet
believing, ye rejoice with joy unspeakable and full of glory: Receiving
the end of your faith, even the salvation of your souls." (1 Peter
1:8-9)


"If
ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where
Christ sitteth on the right hand of God. 2Set your affectiona on things
above, not on things on the earth.  3For ye are dead, and your
life is hid with Christ in God. 4When Christ, who is our life, shall
appear, then shall ye also appear with him in glory."  (Col. 3:1-4)

I've
found that delighting myself in the Lord brings about a change in my
heart like nothing else!  All of those other interests and desires
that I am prone to love are veiled in light of HIS glory. 

O,
God, let your glory blind me!   Plant within my heart new
passion for the things of God.  I want to delight in you as I draw
breath; to recognize you in all that my eyes behold; to drink you into
my parched soul.  Let me recognize and delight in your glory which
is present in each moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment