Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Dancing in the Sonshine

Last night was my first opportunity to explore the library. Alone.

O, mother of multiple young children, have you ever wondered what it would be like? I enjoyed myself thoroughly! Though I must say it does not outshine the glory of seeing my brood eagerly rifling through masses of peaceful activity. However, the peace of lingering; and of seeking literary treasures that might otherwise remain hidden behind the distraction of looking 4 ways at once, was truly a delight.

Driving along I-70 toward home, I was greeted with a most peculiar sight. In the truck slightly in front and to the right of me, a man leaned out of the driverside window. As if this weren't a dangerous enough feat when driving, this man's arm was engaged in vigorous activity. The kind of shaking, finger outstretched, that goes on when one is scolding a rather naughty child. It took me a moment to realize that I was the subject of this dreadful chastisement. In a flash, I realized that I was driving home in the darkness. Literally. I had forgotten to turn on my headlights! The interstate and prior roads were well enough lit that it wasn't immediately apparent. Whatever happened to getting behind someone and flashing your lights? I immediately flipped on my lights and proceeded with chagrin, hoping that this crazed gentleman would not deem me worthy of further attention.

Humbled and thankful, I pondered the incident on the drive home. What would have happened if I had proceeded without my lights? Driving in the dark I may have driven over or into something in the shadows. But it was more likely that another would have run into the invisible darkness of my forgetfulness. Headlights are for seeing and being seen.

I wonder if my light is being seen. Surely not on the Interstate (harhar)! But do the little eyes that watch me see the light of my Lord? Are they drawn to His warmth and glory? As a flower turns it's face to the sun, so will a child be drawn to one who radiates the light of Christ. I want my child to see that light in me; to see me in that light. I want him to see me dancing in the Sonshine. My heart beats for those sweet moments of recognition, along with all mothers in the Body of Christ. We are surely recognized only as we bask in the Sonshine of God's glory.


"But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin." 1 John 1:7



"For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. " 2 Cor. 4:6



No comments:

Post a Comment